Running a farm can be challenging, especially when faced with massive repairs to undertake. To shield yourself from spending a lot of money on repairs, you must have the best stick welder for farm use. With this machine around the farm, you can be assured that none of the tasks will be difficult anymore.
Maintaining a proper running farm entails adequate care for fences and gates, as you will note from Gate Repair advice given by renowned farmers. Having a stick welder is a great solution to any repairs you might have in your farm regardless of how small or large. What makes this welder outstanding is its ability to finish the job no matter what the problem is.
Welding is an essential skill, mostly if you work with a lot of farm machinery – they have a habit of breaking, and heavy equipment needs some heavy repair work. A stick welder is a great solution to farm machinery that needs fixing; it is small and portable enough to carry about with you, but it packs enough punch to hold metal together long enough to finish the job.
Advantages of stick welding
Stick welding is one of the most used welding processes in the entire world. It uses an electrode stick plus a source of power to connect or join different metals. Stick welding comes with various advantages which include:
- It can be used for outdoor purposes. Whether its raining or windy, stick-wielding works effectively without any issues.
- This is an affordable equipment meaning you will not spend all your hard-earned money when purchasing.
- You don’t require any shielding gas when using stick welding because it comes inclusive of shielding gas.
- Stick welding is designed with top-notch strength options because the stick electrodes have the alloying meant for strength.
- This machine is not sensitive to paint or corrosion during welding, ensuring that they clean up after welding is easier done.
- You can change rods easily with stick welding to suit different metals.
Table of content:
Stick Welder, 225AC/125DC, 230V, 50A, OCV 79
Stick Welder, Thunderbolt Series, 10-1/2 H
Hobart 500570 Stickmate 160i
SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp MIG MAG ARC MMA Stick DC Welder
Arc 110/220V Welder IGBT Smart MMA Stick DC Inverter 160/200a Welder
HITBOX ARC Welder 110V 220V Dual Voltage 200A MMA Inverter Welding Machine
6 Best Stick Welders for Farm Use Reviews 2020
Choosing the right stick welder for farm use goes a long way in ensuring that all your farm tasks are appropriately taken care of. This can be handled using the best stick welder for farm use that runs all the repairs on your farm. This review will look into details of the top six stick welders that would work significantly on your farm.
1. Stick Welder, 225AC/125DC, 230V, 50A, OCV 79
This Stick Welder delivers a stable DC welding arc to add the smother during welding to ensure a perfect job. The 225AC/125DC machine works perfectly for home use, farm, or shop thanks to its outstanding welding performance. It comes with an AC welding output range of between 40 – 225 amps plus a DC welding output ranging from 30 – 125 amps for outstanding performance.
For fabrication, erection, maintenance repair, and construction, choose this stick welder that works broadly even for hard surface applications. It is the best stick welding machine designed with quality material to ensure high performance and durability. This welder Is ideal for piercing holes in steel, making it perfect for all welding functions.
This stick welder’s flexibility gives room for welding using several metals that include iron, aluminum, and stainless steel. This stick welder machine handles any job that calls for quality arc-welding performance. You can count on this machine for all your welding jobs with an assurance that you will not be disappointed.
Stick Welder Features:
- This is a Stick Welder that delivers exceptional arc-welding performance making it perfect for construction, maintenance repair, and fabrication.
- It can be used on various metals such as steel, aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron, and steel.
- A flexible stick welder can be used in different welding metals such as aluminum, cast iron, and stainless steel.
- The AC/DC 225/125 Arc welder works perfectly for piercing holes in steel.
2. Stick Welder, Thunderbolt Series, 10-1/2 H
The Thunderbolt Series welder is light and portable, meaning you can take it with you for outdoor tasks. This stick welder does not need any gas to operate, meaning you will not incur extra costs. The flux coating on the rods generates a shielding gas as soon as it is heated, keeping off contaminants from the weld.
This is the best home shop welder that works perfectly for farm and ranches repairs. It is designed for light fabrication, in garages, shipbuilding, and shops. The Dual Voltage Capability of this stick welder delivers incredible welding performance.
It comes with an electrode cable of up to 10 feet with a quality electrode holder to keep the cable in place. This is one of the best welders available in the market that will guarantee a perfect weld. This welder is the ideal solution for your farm because it can handle all kinds of repairs without disappointing.
Stick Welder Features:
- This is a lightweight and portable welder that you can take out for outdoor use with ease.
- A stick welder that operates without the need of any gas to perform, helping you minimize costs.
- The electron rods feature flux coating that produces shielding gas when heated to prevent contaminants from the weld.
- A stick welder meant shipbuilding, light fabrication, shops, and garages due to its flexibility and versatility.
- It has dual Voltage capability to deliver exceptional welding performance.
3. Hobart 500570 Stickmate 160i
If you have been looking for a reliable and dependable welder, the Hobart 500570 should be your ideal choice. It is the best portable stick welder, lightweight, and easy to use compared to other machines. This stick welder weighs less than 20 lbs, which means you can bring it out for outdoor use with ease.
This Stickmate 160i features an outstanding arc that starts through the hot start technology making it perfect for all welding tasks. This welder machine’s output power is 160A, while its input power ranges between 120V – 240V, which allows for connection of up to 240V. You will love how powerful this welder is because it can weld mild steel of up to 5/32 inches.
An ideal welder designed from stainless steel, making it quite long-lasting. It comes with an amperage range of between 20 to 160 amps. Through its 30% duty cycle, this welder machine can make connections perfectly without the need for extra tools. This Hobart welder features a 10 ft electrode cable that comes with a heavy-duty holder to ensure you carry out your welding tasks easily.
Hobart 500570 Features:
- It is a powerful stick welder that is lightweight and portable to make it easy to take it with you for your outdoor welding projects.
- The Hobart 500570 features an exceptional arc that starts with hot start technology, making it perfect to work with.
- This Stickmate 160i is equipped with 120V – 240V input power that guarantees connection to receptacles without extra tools.
- A welder with stainless steel construction means it is designed for durability purposes.
- It features a 10 ft electrode cable with a heavy-duty holder to enable you to undertake all your welding projects without any issues.
4. SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp MIG MAG ARC MMA Stick DC Welder
This is a multifunctional welder that works perfectly on all types of welding. It can be used on all kinds of metals such as carbon steel, stainless steel, iron, mild steel, and iron. This stick welder comes with an adjustable wire feed speed to enable you to make the right adjustments to match your welding needs.
The SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp handles aluminum welding using a spool gun to deliver a special spool gun operation. It also has a selector switch that works efficiently to switch between MIG gun and spool gun, enabling you to choose the gun perfect for you. Both flux-cored welding without gas and gas-shielded MIG welding are availed on this machine.
It is the best 110v stick welder that works perfectly for outdoor repairs and on rusty metal. If your machinery is rusty, don’t fret; just switch your welder on and start welding without cleaning up. This unit works with a wire spool of between 2lb and 10lb while using the same adapter.
SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp Features:
- This is an ideal stick welder for outdoor repairs that can be used on rusty metal without any challenges.
- A multifunctional welder can be used for all types of welding, meaning no matter the type of welding you are focused on, you are in good hands with this unit.
- The SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp uses a spool gun for aluminum welding to deliver an exceptional spool gun operation.
- This stick welder is designed to enable both gas-less flux-cored welding and gas-shielded MIG welding for MIG/MAG welding process.
- A MIG200 welder has an adjustable wire feed speed allowing you to make necessary adjustments to fit your welding project.
5. Arc 110/220V Welder IGBT Smart MMA Stick DC Inverter 160/200a Welder
If you are a beginner in welding and haven’t welded before, you need to use the Arc 110/220V Welder meant for beginners. It is not only an intelligent welder ideal for home use but also quite cost-effective. With this good cheap stick welder, you don’t have to worry about welding complexities because it’s easy to use.
You will find welding gloves on this welder that works remarkably to avert heat injuries, blisters, grazes, scratches, and cut injuries. This smart welder comes with a dual voltage of 110V/220V with the ability to save up to 70% of energy, minimizing welding efficiency cost. It is equipped with an electrode holder that has a robust clamping force for steady and easy operation.
This arc welding machine is lightweight, portable, and compact, enabling you to use it anywhere. It is designed with a portable stick welder that can fit rods between 1.6 – 4.0mm, ideal for welding different ferrous metals. The welding ground clamp featured on this Smart MMA Stick works by clamping and manipulating the electrode. You will also find a conversion line adapter that converts current instantly.
Arc 110/220V Welder Features:
- This Arc 110/220V Welder features an Electrode Holder that has a robust clamping force for ease of operation.
- A smart welder is designed with a dual voltage that saves up to 70% of the energy that improves the welding efficiency.
- It is a portable and lightweight welder that you can easily carry to any location to handle your welding tasks.
- Welding Gloves are featured in the Arc 110/220V Welder that ensures you don’t suffer from blisters, cut injuries, scratches, dirt, and grazes.
- It can perfectly fit rods between 1.6 – 4.0mm suitable for welding different ferrous metals like carbon steel, alloy steel, and medium carbon steel.
6. HITBOX ARC Welder 110V 220V Dual Voltage 200A MMA Inverter Welding Machine
The HITBOX arc welder is perfect for all home projects and ideal for newbies making it the best stick welder for beginners. Its welding range is 10 – 190A having a dual voltage of 100V – 220V making this welding machine perform exceptionally well. The stick welder strikes an arc easily with stable current and little spatter for good performance.
This Mini Portable Welder has an easy to carry handle for carrying with ease and storage. It is lightweight and portable, with a net weight of 6.3lb, enabling you to use it anywhere. The compact design is perfect when operating in tight spaces. No wonder this HITBOX welder is commonly used in indoor decoration and high working places.
The 200A MMA welding machine has a duty cycle of 60%, making it ideal for repairs on the farm and at home. This machine protects you from long-lasting damage saving you a lot of money in the long run. Quality accessories are incorporated in this machine, including the earth clamp and electrode holder, for holding the machine steadily during the welding operation.
HITBOX ARC Welder Features:
- This welding machine features an earth clamp and electrode holder for holding the machine steadily when welding.
- A mini portable welder is lightweight, meaning you can take it with you anywhere for your welding projects.
- The 200A MMA welding machine works with a duty cycle of 60%, perfect for home and farm repairs.
- This machine comes with quality accessories that include the earth clamp and electrode holder for holding the machine during welding.
- It comes with a compact design that enables you to use this welding machine in tight spaces.
How to use a stick welder?
Here is the step to step guide of using a stick welder;
Step 1: Setting up the machine
- The first thing you should do is plug in the welder and ensure you don’t turn it on.
- Take in the cable and plug the end having the DINSE connector straight into the socket on the bottom with a “+” mark. Ensure that you twist in the connector tightly.
- Use the ground clamp to clamp it to your workpiece and screw in the DINSE plug into the socket marked with “-” found right at the cable’s opposite end.
Step 2: Having safety gear
You cannot carry out welding without proper safety gear. Put on a fixed-shade welding helmet, leather welding gloves, and a leather apron. You are now ready to start welding.
Step 3: Welding
- Switch on power. You will notice a power light lighting up on the front on the machine. You will also notice the fan starting up.
- Place the desired rod on the electrode holder to strike an arc. Once you do that, a loud sound will be heard with sparks flying all over the place.
- Move the rod down the metal joint while going a little out of the puddle using the arc for seconds to cool the puddle.
- Once done, pull the electrode away from work and place the stinger on an insulated, non-grounded surface. At that moment, you will see a coating at the top of the bead called slag.
- Use a chipping hammer to tap the bead and rake with it. Next, use a stainless-steel wire brush to brush the bead for cleaning purposes. You are done with welding at that point!
Frequently Asked Question
Is stick welding stronger than MIG?
With stick welding, you have to set the machine to be quite hot to keep the rod lit, making it stronger than MIG, which doesn’t work the same way.
Do you push or pull with a stick welder?
You push with a stick welder for MIG welding as you weld using a flux-core wire welder.
Are stick welders ac or dc?
Stick welders are DC driven using various stick welding applications.
Can we stick welders weld aluminum?
Yes, it is possible, and it will surprise you because it will work better than you could ever imagine.
What gas do you use for stick welding?
Gases that can be used for stick welding include carbon dioxide, argon, oxygen, and helium.
Stick welding is an essential part of every farm; that is why using the best stick welder for farm use is advised. This welder for farm use will carry out all the repairs keeping your farm well maintained. Invest in this machine if you want to keep your farm up and running for a long time.
My best stick welder for farm use is the Hobart 500570 Stickmate 160i because it uses hot start technology. It is powerful, lightweight, and portable with stainless steel construction. A heavy-duty holder is featured to keep the electrode cable in place.