No matter how much expertise you have, finishing a welding project can be challenging and painful if you lack the right tools and equipment. Welding metal, such as aluminum, can be complicated. Aluminum holds a very complex chemical and physical structure and therefore needs select welders for it.
Therefore, if you are looking for the best welder for aluminum boats, we have reviewed the top five. Choosing the perfect one for you might be challenging, but you might find it easier than expected if you consider the right factors.
Table of Contents:
Use this section to accurately find every information, product review, or section in the guide and the exact pages to find them.
Use the table to compare the five products discussed below based on several chosen factors to see how they perform against each other.
Best Welder for Aluminum Boats Reviews 2020
Now is the time to find out what the best welders in this category are. Each of the five welders is thoroughly tested and researched to come up with accurate information about them. Read along to learn more about the best welder for aluminum boats.
1. Eastwood TIG 200 AC/DC 20565 Welder
You can take your welding to a whole new level with these welders right here. When you want to make a sturdy and robust aluminum boat, the Eastwood TIG 200 would be a reliable option. It is the best welder for aluminum with excellent performance when handling your work. You can use it to weld steel, aluminum, and stainless steel.
The Eastwood TIG 200 also offers a wide range of features that can transform your project into a masterpiece. That way, it is a convenient piece of innovation meant to make every welding correctly done.
The Eastwood TIG 200 also gives you the liberty to connect it to a standard 110 volts or a 220 volts power source. This makes it an excellent option for anyone who needs to save money on power bills.
Eastwood TIG Features:
- Gives you versatility since it operates on either a 110 volts AC, 15-amp circuit or the 220 volts AC, 30-amp circuit.
- High-frequency start that gives you a precise arc control every time you need it to
- Boasts a welding capacity of 1/4-inch thickness on a 220 volts AC
- It features a “WP-17”-type torch that accepts standard cups and collets, boasting up to 1/8 inch electrodes
- A square-wave inverter provides the welder with the necessary power and promotes accurate aluminum welding
2. Aluminum Welder AC DC 200 Amp HF TIG/Stick Welder
This is a powerful welder built with the latest IGBT technology. It also works best on quality aluminum and nonferrous metals. That way, it is more economical to have it around. You will not have to buy welders for different materials like cast iron or stainless steel separately. It can weld stainless steel and other thin gauge material. This welder provides up to 85% power efficiency.
The IGBT technology inverter is the latest transistor technology. It is more efficient to the extent that it enables the highest power. Also, it boasts a duty cycle of 60 percent at full capacity. This machine features an efficient cooling fan (built-in) so it will not overheat. You will also love its portable design since you can take it anywhere.
It has an AC TIG function that is more suited for welding aluminum and aluminum alloys. You can use it to weld all types of steel and aluminum, among many other metals. The machine can weld thicker metal plates up to 200 amps. This budget-friendly machine also has LED to help you see the changes on the display when making adjustments.
Aluminum Welder Features:
- IGBT technology inverter is the latest transistor technology that is more efficient to enable high power
- DC TIG function welds stainless steel, copper, carbon steel, and several other nonferrous metals
- Digital control front panel is nicely fit to the HF ignition, 2T/4T function, and a digital displayer that shows the current amperage
- The welder offers a wide range of adjustment to give diversity in your projects.
- Features LED display to help you know the details when you make adjustments.
3. LOTOS MIG175 175AMP Mig Welder
With this welder, everything is as easy as cutting, welding, and building. It is the best MIG welder for aluminum boats. LOTOS MIG175 is highly versatile and can be used to weld all types of steel, aluminum, and nonferrous metals. The controls are also provided and well-elaborated to help you figure it out fast and use it well. Each control here is meant to promote simplicity.
The LOTOS MIG175 is suitable for both newbies and professional welders. The welder needs a 220/240 V outlet and it features overload protection for safety. You can start using the machine right away since it includes a mask and a spool gun.
This best welder for aluminum boats has a rated output of 175-amp. Ii gives a multi-purpose application for welding aluminum, mild steel and stainless steel. Additionally, it features a wire range of 025 inches to 030 inches solid steel and 030 inches to 035 inches flux cored.
LOTOS MIG175 Features:
- You can achieve a maximum width of 2 inches with the ground clamp.
- A multi-use welder that works amazingly well with other types of metals.
- They include a high-speed MIG spool gun that is especially suited for aluminum welding.
- Utilizes transformer technology to provide durability and reliability.
- Features accessories like gas hose, MIG torch and a reliable ground clamp cable so you will not spend extra buying them.
4. MTS-165, 165-Amp MIG/TIG-Torch/Stick Arc Combo Welder
Welding aluminum boats can be successful if you use the right tools like the MTS-165. It is a technologically advanced model and that many experts praise. The MTS-165 is capable of welding up to 1/4-inch aluminum, weld steel, aluminum alloy, mild steel, copper, cast iron, and stainless steel.
This Dual Voltage Mig Welder comes with everything you need not buy separately, which would be unnecessarily costly. You can use it with aluminum wire, flux cored wire, and solid wire. Also, it is easy to use with lots of safety features put into place too.
It utilizes IGBT technology with a convenient waveform control system. Therefore, you can get the right waveform volt in case of short circuits. It is synergic controlled and delivers apparent wire melting droplet transfer.
- Automatically compensate for voltage fluctuation, under-voltage protection, and over-voltage protection
- It is capable of welding up to 1/4-inch aluminum, aluminum alloy, weld steel, mild steel, and stainless steel
- It has the STICK function and TIG torch and it is synergy controlled.
- Advanced IGBT technology and features waveform control system and perfect waveform of a volt
- Uses high-quality wire-feeding machine that ensures smooth wire feeding at all times
5. HZXVOGEN MIG Welder 100V/220V 200Amp Pulse Weld Aluminum Wider
As an aluminum boat builder, you can benefit greatly from this powerful welder. It is full of innovative features, each of which is geared towards making the best welding imaginable. It is the most advanced and multifunctional welder. It uses 0.6,0.8,0.9 and 10mm flux wire for the MIG function. For TIG function, it uses 1.6-2.4 mm tungsten. Lastly, for the MMA function, it can weld 2.5,3.2 and 4.0 electrodes.
It features a wide LCD, which displays essential information. The HZXVOGEN MIG Welder makes it immensely more manageable for you to select the appropriate welding mode, material, tungsten rods, welding wires, and electrodes.
With just a press of a button, you can set it to your preferred mode. It also works well with various metals like iron and stainless steel. The MIG welder also comes with several accessories such as a graphite wire feed tube, electrode holder, and earth clamp.
HZXVOGEN MIG Features:
- Smart control makes it easy and convenient to select the appropriate welding mode for each welding application
- The multifunctional welder does an excellent welding job on stainless steel, aluminum, aluminum alloy, and more
- Boasts numerous innovative features, including a wide LCD that displays vital information for you
- The MIG welder comes with a variety of accessories, including an MB24 MIG gun, earth clamp, and graphite wire feed tube
- Portable design makes it easy to handle and to move around both within the workshop and when being transported
How to Weld Aluminum Boats? Step by Step Guide
There are several essential steps that you should follow when welding boats. Follow this step by step guide below.
Step 1: Begin by gathering enough of the right grade aluminum. The most common kinds for this task are the 5086 or 5083. Purchase your design files, then contract someone to cut the design for you.
Step 2: When it is time for welding, avoid the TIG welding if you want to keep it clean. Instead, use a spool-gun, or better still, you can use the pulse MIG machine. The pulsed MIG is the best for professional boat building, and it does an excellent job at it. Spool guns are also suitable for building boats with aluminum and are more affordable.
Step 3: Set up the jig. It is essential that the jig does not move and is completely square.
Step 4: Use incremental back-step welding. The primary idea behind it is to eliminate distortion as much as possible. Beginning from the boat’s center, you work your way in six inches increments, but welding towards the center.
Step 5: Forming the handrails. You will need a lot of experience or a proper bending machine for this part.
Step 6: Transom height. This is where you decide on the right motor to mount on your boat before building the transom.
Why Should You Buy a Welder for Aluminum Boats?
You need a good welder if the boat making is to be entirely successful. Boast building is a significant decision. This kind of investment is enormous.
Welding aluminum boats require you to have the best welder for aluminum boats. If you use a TIG welder, it will end up warping and hence alter your boat. Get a spool gun for your machine, and most of them come at affordable prices.
It is essential to do more practice because welding using a normal spool requires some skills. Try out various welds and ensure you don’t burn your boat. You can also get help from a person with experience to guide you through the welding techniques.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are quite a number of questions people ask concerning welders for aluminum boats. Some top questions are as follows.
Can you weld an aluminum boat?
Yes, you can. Aluminum is a difficult material to weld, but with the right welder and materials in place, you can make an excellent quality boat.
How long will an aluminum boat last?
Aluminum boats are really strong and durable. If you weld it well together, it will last a long time and are easy to maintain over that course of time.
Should I paint the bottom of my aluminum boat?
Yes, you should. Even though it is not a must that you do it, painting the bottom somehow protects it from direct contact with water.
Does Flex Seal work on aluminum boats?
Yeah, it does. When you use it when and appropriately, it works on aluminum boats just fine.
Can you weld aluminum with a stick welder?
Yes, you can, but it can be messy. You can use a stick welder to put it together.
There are several brands of welders out there, and each brand has features that may be unique to itself. You can select based on the factors that matter to you. These five welders are among the best, and from them, you can find the ultimate best welder for aluminum boats.
All these can accomplish the task, but you need one, which makes things challenging. We commend the LOTOS MIG175 175AMP Mig Welder. It provides reliable use and lasts longer. This welder provides multi-applications hence making it versatile. Additionally, the welder provides a stable performance.