Exhaust pipes are known to require special welding machines to weld. Therefore, the quality of your welder and its performance will determine how good you will be taking care of your exhaust pipe with every welding you do on it. Out of our concern about the growing number of welding enthusiasts who are vulnerable to choosing the wrong machines, we have prepared a guide for the Best Welding for Exhaust Pipe.
Since welding is a pretty complicated work process, you will need a proper model to help you achieve the best results with every weld. That includes the ability to weld on various metals and use it for various welding activities, whether at home or for more serious projects. The welders reviewed here have been tested and passed various tests with different capacities. You can follow these MIG welding easy steps.
What type of welder is best for exhaust?
Typically, MIG welding machines are the best for welding exhaust pipes. The exhaust system of the vehicle is special and cannot be welded by ordinary welders. The system features thinner metals, which explains their light nature.
And because of that, they have to be welded with proper machines designed for them, and the MIG machine just qualifies as the best for welding thinner petal parts. They give the best results and protect the metal parts being welded. Also, they make welds that hold metals tightly and durably.
Table of Content:
Each section covered in this guide is highlighted in this section with their respective pages to help you understand where to find every topic and subtopic.
Use this section to understand better how each welder performs against the other welders based on a number of the most important factors shared by all of them.
5 Best Welding for Exhaust Pipe Reviews 2020
Welding machines are either TIG process machines, MIG process machines, or stick welders. What you achieve in each of these varies in different ways. Regardless of what you think you need to get the job done, you can find it from among the following five welders.
1. Hobart 500554001 Handler 190
This is a powerful good cheap MIG welder, coming with several vital accessories to make the package more powerful and complete. You will be privileged to acquire this machine partly because it has a reputation for getting the job done efficiently and offers lots of innovative features. The latter does not only make it reliable but also makes things easier for you as the user or owner. The machine works on 230 volts power and boasts 25-190 output amperage.
So, if you are looking for the best welder for exhaust work, the Hobart 500554001 would be it. It boasts a portable wire-feed flux core that will give you a lot of easy time to move around while working. You can use it to weld various metals like stainless steel, aluminum and flux core. The work it does on these metals is not just excellent, but also makes the process worth the user’s while.
The arc performance is enhanced by lots of features and qualities, from the seven voltage selection at your disposal, enhanced magnetics, as well as the infinite wire feed speed control. What you get is easier fine control for its output parameters, and that improves the general performance of the unit too.
Hobart 500554001 Features:
- Comes with a setup guide to help you set it up in just a few minutes and to help you do it properly
- Generous operating parameters makes this welder capable of welding a 24 ga. to 5/16 inch of steel in just a single pass
- Built with top quality and durability in mind hence providing you with exceptional performance for many years to come
- It is a 230-volt wire welder with a 10 feet, 150-amp gun that results in a very powerful welding package
- Offer industrial performance and is very easy to adjust for various materials, thicknesses, and wires
2. 2020 Weldpro Digital TIG 200GD ACDC 200 Amp Tig/Stick Welder
This is a powerhouse and nothing less than that. It will give you power and capabilities better that you thought you could find from such a package. With a measurement of 17.6×7.9×16 inches and a weight of 31.3 pounds, this machine is not only conveniently portable but also makes the general control and maintenance very easy for you. You can lift it with so much ease and store it on a shelf or even under your cabinet.
This is a typical TIG welding machine with an excellent TIG welding exhaust pipe. It has a trigger switch for dual voltage control between 220 volts and 110 volts. Therefore, you can use it in most homes, garages, and businesses because it is suitable for a variety of uses in such places. You can select the voltage you want in play and select according to the material you want to work on. That way, you can tell how well and strong your precise bead will look.
Since it also has an excellent professional design, it will look the part for whatever professional task you put it up to. There is a foot pedal from which you can control amperage. Also, remember that this machine goes far beyond welding, just aluminum, and steel.
2020 Weldpro Digital Features:
- Measures 17.6 inches by 7.9 inches by 16 inches and weighs just 31.3 pounds; hence very portable and easy to transport
- Uses PWM technology and its low weight and size help you get 30% more efficiency.
- It has a professional design foot pedal (rocker design) with great amperage control.
- The welder can weld with either DC or AC, which allows you to choose DC welding for copper, stainless steel, and steel, among other metals
- Switch it to AC welding to use in welding aluminum and aluminum alloys for better results and high-quality welds
3. SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp MIG MAG ARC MMA Stick DC Welder
The SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp MIG MAG ARC MMA Stick DC Welder may seem like an ordinary welder, but it is more powerful than it looks. Since it is a very affordable machine, you may underrate its capabilities, but once you switch it on, your perspective of it will change. Among its many powers, it makes MIG welding stainless steel exhaust so easy and would finish the job in no time.
You can do a wide range of technical welding with gas-shielding wire or gas-less flux core welding with this amazing welder. You can use it to weld exhaust pipes that are made of aluminum, mild steel, carbon steel, stainless steel, and even iron. Hence, it gives you so much freedom.
There is a selector switch, strategically placed for you to use whenever you want to shift from MIG to, let’s say spool gun. It is easy to shift fast and comfortably anytime you want to achieve professional welding results. Similarly, this welder is very convenient, especially since you can use it almost anywhere you want.
SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp Features:
- The welder is due to dual 220 volts and 110-volt options, which makes it more versatile for various welding usages.
- A wide range of functions means you are more likely to get the desired welding performance with minimal splatter.
- Boasts of a very wide 20-200amp current range to help you tackle various welding tasks and handle a wide range of activities without problems.
- Adjustable wire feed speed allows you to adjust the machine to suit various applications and weld with various thicknesses.
- Gasless flux-cored welding is available for this machine, which makes it even more reliable for a wide range of welding activities.
4. Lincoln Electric K2185-1 Handy MIG Welder
This is a pretty decent welder with lots of amazing features to boast of. You can depend on it to deliver top-end welding performance thanks to its compact, lightweight characteristics. It is the right choice for those who would want to use it for home repairs or hobby projects. However, it can do more than just that. And for that, this is the best budget MIG welder you can find on the market.
The welder features a lightweight and compact design hence easy to use. You will find four convenient voltage settings that you can choose depending on the work. Additionally, it features a continuous wire feed speed adjustment so that you can weld thin 24-gauge steel to 1/8-inch steel.
Also, you will love how easy it is to get this machine started. It extends to the way it is easy to use and control. That way, you will find it stress-free to keep working and to use to customize your welding. Everything you need to make the best of it is in the box. The box contains a gun, cable assembly, gas nozzle, work cable and clamp, gas regulator, hose, spool of solid wire, and many more vital components.
Lincoln Electric K2185 Features:
- Compact lightweight design is an excellent choice for both home use and professional welding activities
- A clamp cable length of 8 feet and a power cord length of 8 feet makes the system long enough to tackle tasks far from the power source
- Package includes welding gun with cable assembly, gasless nozzle for flux-cored welding, works cable with clamp, and more
- A spool of shelf-shielded flux-cored wire helps you use this welder to achieve more in terms of quality and versatility
- Four voltage settings, together with continuous wire feed speed adjustment, make it possible to weld mild steel from 24ga. to 1/8inch thick
5. Forney Easy Weld 261, 140 FC-i MIG Welder
Take your welding to the next level with this high-quality welder. When you finally choose to buy this welder, your welding job will be facing an upgrade. This is an easy-to-use machine that uses 0.30 flux core wire. You can use it for a whole lot of applications, including doing it yourself, metal fabrication, hobbyist, maintenance, and repair. The machine excels in all of these activities, giving you nothing but the best welding results.
Therefore, this is the best 120v MIG welder. With up to 140amp output, you can weld mild steel of a maximum plate of 1/4 inches. The welder is pretty portable, with a lightweight design since it only weighs 19 pounds. Therefore, what you get is lots of power in a welder that you can carry around to whatever job site stress-freely.
The welder has a rugged design with an all-metal case. Since it is used in rough environments where metals and high power voltages are in play, you would expect such a tough build and case from a welder of this quality. That is also partly the reason why it lasts longer and survives all the rough tasks. Finally, it suits welders across all skill levels, from armatures to their more experienced counterparts.
Forney Easy Features:
- Weighs 19 pounds only, which together with a small dimension, makes it very portable and convenient
- The welder comes with various other accessories, including a MIG gun, ground clamp, and integrated handle
- Versatile machine that you can use for various welding tasks such as maintenance, repairs, do it yourself, and hobbyist projects
- Covered with an all-metal case, which protects it from the rough environment that is the workshops and welding workplaces
- 120 volts input and a 140-amp output makes it capable of welding a 24- gauge of up to 1/4 handles
How to Weld Exhaust Pipe?
Step 1: Start by cutting the exhaust tubing. This is the most important step, and therefore requires a high degree of accuracy. How well you cut the exhaust pipe will determine how possible it will be to weld it properly. Measure twice, mark it each time, and cut once with a chain pipe cutter.
Step 2: Then clump the pieces together in readiness for the welding. You should do this after cleaning the tubing parts so that when they will be welded together, no dirt interferes. Use a C-clamp to join them and hold them into place in readiness for welding.
Step 3: At this point, you need to spot weld the parts together using the best welder for exhaust pipe. The thin nature of the exhaust pipe makes spot welding the best option for it. Just 3 or 4 welds around the tubing’s circumference will be enough to hold it into place.
Step 4: Then comes the final touches. This is where you weld the remaining gaps in the pipe. When doing this, just make sure each weld goes around the tube’s circumference.
Safety Tips When Using a Welder Machine for Exhaust Pipe
Welders are prone to welding-related injuries. That is why you should take extreme caution when us8ing any welding equipment. Here are some safety tips to help you stay ready for explosions, fire, electric shock, or any other harmful situation.
- You should not allow unauthorized persons to use welding equipment to prevent accidents.
- Everyone who uses the machine or nearby should wear all the necessary protective gear.
- You should keep flammable materials or products away from a place where welding takes place.
- You should never weld on a wooden floor or near wooden walls or objects for safety.
- Ensure that you mark all metals that are hot and after welding has been completed
Frequently Asked Question
We have compiled a list top most frequently asked questions and answers below.
Is it hard to weld exhaust?
Not exactly. So long as you have the right welder, skills, and experience, it is all easy.
What is the best welding rod for the exhaust pipe?
That would be the 6011 rods simply because it provides precise welds. Also, it works best on soft surfaces.
Can you MIG weld the exhaust pipe?
Yes, you can. MIG works best for welding exhaust pipes.
Can the exhaust pipe be welded?
Of course. Exhaust pipes are typically made of thin metal tubes, which makes them delicate to weld, but there are suitable welders for them.
Is it better to weld or clamp the exhaust?
Welding is better, but you can use both. You can first clamp the pipe together before welding it.
These are all we have for you on the best welder for exhaust pipe. From this list, you can find the right welder for almost anything. With the information we have provided here, you can still find something that suits your financial ability and budget.
You need a machine that combines power, quality, durability, and versatility. Not many new models can match the quality of the old, but innovation has also made a lot of things better than they were in the old. We recommend the SunGoldPower MIG200 IGBT Welder as the overall best.